TwiddlingMyThumb Series#2 Okay to be a little late?

Image from Google

Twiddling my thumb - in the front seat of the car. The shuttle speeds through the various twists and turns of the Maa Flyover in Kolkata like a daredevil in a F1 video game. Come on! That’s a bit of an exaggeration, init. Yes, possibly. Yet my muscles tense up, my nerves pump in pain. I suddenly find myself driving down the slopes of the Sinthan Top in Pahalgam. My muscles coil in a painful knot as I feel the driver just pressing down the accelerator, trying to overtake the car in front. My breathing gets heavier. In my mind, I say - Slow down. But I don’t want to break the driver’s attention. There is a turn ahead of the road.


Just like that, just in a jiffy, the car seemed to have lost its control. I shrieked - Stop! Mum and Dad were almost asleep in the back seat of the car. My scream had woken them up. I heard a terrible scream from Dad. The car slammed into a big boulder at the turn of the road. The car tilted in a crooked way as it crashed into it. I jumped out of the car and ran to the back. I opened the car door. Mum was super silent. Dad was a bit incoherent. There was a lot of noise and chaos around. Lots of people had gathered. But I couldn’t hear anything. I just wanted them to speak, to come back to their senses… 


A struggle followed but I am thankful. Thankful for everything that wasn’t lost that day. I, as a person come out of this humbler, wiser but just when the shuttle speeds in that bend of the Maa flyover, my nerves quiver…Will it be terribly late if we all just slow down for a bit?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog