In the time of Corona.


Now, the title of my post may remind you of the book, ‘Love in the time of Cholera’ by Gabriel García Márquez and rightly so. I have, indeed, named my post after that book title. To be honest, it was the title that first came to my mind. I wish I could add ‘Love’ in it too but no, no love. Just daily, dry, locked-down routine.

Pic taken from Google

It was only a few weeks back when I rushed back home from work, somehow gobbled down a bit of food, not even sure what, but was something to fill the hole i.e. my tummy, while putting on my sportswear and dashed out in 10minutes to meet my friend for our walk to the badminton court. Our game was due in 15minutes. I arrived at our meeting place and at the top of my voice, filled with exasperation, vented out, ‘oh, I have got so much to do and so little time! I am, like, always running around. I have no time to read, to paint, to cook, to call people up, not even to sit!’ and blah blah blah…

I imagine that the little monster, named Corona was lurking in the alley somewhere. He must have had this smug look on his face and an evil grin across his lips. He was probably smirking inside, ‘Ah wait you naïve lassie, wait till I come!’

And yes, he has arrived now, locking us all down to our little nests, making us all realise how much freedom we have, otherwise. I won’t go into the petty details of how bored we all are, how we have exhausted our list of to-do things or for that matter, how good it is for the environment or on the other side, how scary the future might look like and how many people are suffering. Well, actually, the last bit bothers me the most. To think of all the people who survive on daily wages, it’s just bit too much.

I have learnt quite a few things, though, in my last week of self-isolation, the top four in my list being -  
  1. The difference between pandemic and epidemic. Never thought about it before!
  2. How my life has been so good so far. Huh! Revelation.
  3. Freedom is underrated and overhyped at the same time. Contradicting as it may sound, it’s true. Have a think when you are bored.
  4. Idle mind can be a devil or a blessing. Choose wisely.

I hope, the virus goes away and we all go back to normalcy, soon.

Personally, I don’t mind having nothing to do. Because there is always lots to do. However, I do miss going out, having a good laugh with people but then I do have a lot of me-time that I had earlier complained about. And it just has made me realise, how I, often easily, complain about the things that I long for. ‘Be careful what you wish for!’ Ah, the person who thought about this phrase must have been so damn wise!

Having wasted the last 10 minutes of your precious time with this hugely informative and thought-provoking scribble of mine, I feel accomplished for the day. I will leave you guys to enjoy the weekend now.

Be sane, be safe!

Au revoir! Ooh yes, I may resume my French learning again! Ta-da!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog